Wednesday 21 September 2011

Numbers and figures...

Week 3.

It's been a little while since I last posted but I'll try to keep it brief all the same.


Why is it that all of a sudden there are not enough hours in the day??? I'm putting all the hours I have into studying...but there just aren't ENOUGH hours to revise everything we go through in the day it seems! Frustrating! I've never had to study like this before. Seriously, 3 years of University is a piece of cake compared to this. Dead simple. University just doesn't come close...

I am enjoying it though, but the stress is overshadowing that enjoyment at the moment. We have regular 'Progress Tests' which are not important, but should be taken very seriously as they give you a clear indication of the level of knowledge required in the exam. In all honesty, my first progress test on 'Principles of Flight' was a complete disaster. I only have myself to blame though. My revision technique was clearly so very wrong indeed. All I was doing after University was coming home, READING the books and effectively not 'processing' what I was reading. In other words, I didn't LEARN it! Pretty fatal, hmm? I felt awful after that little test. I'm a very positive individual but I couldn't help but immediately jump to conclusions and question my ability to succeed on this course. Needless to say, I spoke to my tutor who advised that I should be constantly answering practice questions from the online 'question bank' already............so I've been doing that alongside the reading, since and I think such a technique is working because my practice grades are seemingly improving so...that's a start! We'll see what happens in the second 'Principles of Flight' Progress Test this Friday anyway...closely followed by 'Performance' on Monday. Urgh.

Here's a typical 'Performance' question for you to attempt:

"What is the minimum field length required for the worst wind situation, landing a twin jet aeroplane with the anti-skid inoperative?

Elevation: 2000ft
QNH: 1013hPa
Landing mass: 50000kg
Flaps: As required for minimum landing distance
Runway condition: Dry
Wind:
Maximum allowable tailwind: 15kt
Maximum allowable headwing: 50kt

a. 3100m
b. 2900m
c. 2600m
d. 2700m"

Nice, hmm! :/


As stupid as this may sound, HOW do you revise such a huge volume of information anyway?! Sure, I'm answering questions...but I'm finding that having spent most of a particular evening trying to understand one subject - as well as answering questions on the chapters I have read, I run out of time and have to forfeit reading/answering questions relating to other subjects because I know I *MUST* get some sleep! Last night was a complete joke. I went to bed at 0300hrs, despite knowing that THAT was the 'wrong' thing to do...and why???? Because I was too busy reading 'Principles of Flight' and answering questions on the chapters I was reading. My PLAN was to study 'Performance', also...but that didn't happen because I was so wrapped up in PoF! SIGH. I like to think that my study technique will slot into place and become more EFFICIENT in time as my understanding of the initial two million topics we're having to focus on currently, improves. We'll see. Any suggestions, let me know! But remember I'm currently studying the following - all at the same time:

- Principles of Flight
- Powerplants
- Gas Turbine Engines
- Performance
- Electrics
- Airframes & Systems

At the end of the day, only I can figure this out I guess. I was always very good at studying for and writing reports at University, but we never had to do exams. This course is ALL exams so I'm just going to have to figure this out.

Anyway, last time I posted I was in the process of moving to London. Well, I'm here now...and it's ok. My room is really large and airy, with plenty of space for my belongings.............and all these books! I even have a little section in my room that I pretty much use as a fitness area, so having a workout and then going for a run around the local area (which is nice by the way) after uni ends, is ideal really! I love running. It's a great escape from being stuck indoors all day studying and allows me to take my mind off things! For 45-60 minutes I can just FORGET about the course and have a clear mindset. I really like that.

Overall, I'm keeping positive. This is a great opportunity to prove wrong a few individuals in the past two to three years who doubted me. It's pretty personal. Obviously, it is my dream to become a Professional Pilot, but it will feel all the sweeter when I get through this course as I know I'll be well on my way to achieving my goal. I've felt quite a mixture of emotions recently. I miss flying (although I will try to catch some airtime once a month if I can...), the family pets (my cat and two dogs) and I miss America like crazy. Thoughts of returning there in May/June 2012 to build my hours keep me going, help me believe and is my everyday incentive to achieve. I don't want to complete ALL my hour building there, but I certainly want to experience flying in America and perhaps travel around it. Would love to ask someone if they would like to experience such an adventure with me.

Until next time.


David

P.s. Hmmm...that wasn't exactly 'brief' was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment